If you have less than 10 square feet of mold in your home, you can do the cleaning yourself. However, if mold has spread extensively, has become waterlogged and damaged, or mold has contaminated the HVAC system, corrective action must be taken, and mold removal through professionals.
Can mold make your family sick?
Mold has become something of a buzzword for modern homeowners, renters, and practically everyone who has lived in a home. There is a response from someone sharing the space.
Unfortunately, the short answer is yes. Mold is thought to be the cause of many illnesses, from the common cold to severe respiratory problems. And before we get into the common side effects that can happen to you and your family when you live in a mold-infected space, we need to look at why mold makes you sick in the first place. That’s when mold removal becomes necessary.
Molds are natural fungi in which single-celled organisms have begun to colonize and form strict colony-like entities. Household mold is very common because mold thrives in damp places – our homes trap moisture and can be used for a variety of everyday household chores, including various common household items such as air conditioners. Your activity contributes to the growth of mold throughout your home. You and your family are more likely to encounter mold. Check out various options available on the web about how to remove the mold to clean the area as soon as possible.
Negative Effects of Mold
Headaches, fatigue, and allergies are some of the health issues due to Mold. These health issues may be related to time spent in specific buildings or spaces. Some call it “sick building syndrome,” while others believe it is caused by exposure to mold.
Inhaling mold and mold-derived by-products into the lungs is harmful in many ways. A meta-analysis showed that building dampness and mold increased the incidence of respiratory infections and asthma by 30-50%. A similar study of residential dampness and mold showed an 8-20% increase in the incidence of respiratory infections and bronchitis. allergies and other health issues People with mold in their homes usually have allergy-related symptoms. If you’re not sure whether your allergy-like symptoms are caused by mold in your home, consider the following question. how do your symptoms behave when you go outside or leave the house? If so, mold is most likely the cause.
Symptoms of mold allergy include:
- Miraculous sore throat
- Stuffy nose and runny nose
- Sinus headache
- Wheezing and difficulty breathing
- Itchy watery eyes
- Irritated, itchy skin
Certain molds in your home are poisonous and cause serious, life-threatening illnesses. These extremely dangerous molds can cause health problems such as bleeding, damage to internal organs, mental disorders, cancer, and even death.
Warning Signs of Mold for Health
As you just read, mold in your home is dangerous. But thankfully, it’s usually easy to find once you know what to look for. Below are some important warning signs that you may have mold in your home.
Musty smell. Not all molds give off odors, but many molds do. If you have a strong musty odor, you may have mold growing in your home.
Visible signs of mold growth. Some mold may appear white and stringy. Others appear in clusters of small dorsal spots. Molds can be grey-brown, black, grey-green, or white. Mold growing behind vinyl or wallpaper can be orange, pink, or purple.
Signs of flood damage. Prolonged humidity will inevitably cause mold. If you see water marks or discoloration on the walls, floors, or ceilings of your home, or if the paint or wallpaper is blistering, cracking, or peeling, you may have mold.
The water is leaking. Mold growth from leaks is not always obvious, especially if the leak is behind a wall or other hidden surface. If you notice a leak, it’s important to get it repaired as soon as possible. Areas with frequent condensation can also be mold havens such as Windows and metal pipes.
How to Remove Mold – Home remedies
- Clean the mold with vinegar
One of the most effective ingredients in your home that works well against mold and mildew is vinegar. This is an acidic mold removal solution that can effectively remove the types of molds that appear in your home. Most homeowners prefer using this over store-bought mold removers because it’s mild and non-toxic. It can be used by spraying white vinegar on the moldy surface and letting it sit for about 1-2 hours.
- Use baking soda
Baking powder is often used in cooking. However, many people use it for cleaning purposes because it also has a bactericidal effect. If you want an odorless and effective mildew treatment, you can try baking soda, which absorbs surface moisture and prevents bacterial growth. The best way to use this home remedy is to mix it with warm water and use it as a leave-in spray or cleaning solution. It’s convenient and safe, so you can use it even when your family is at home.
- Tea tree oil
The best way to get rid of mildew on any surface without spending thousands of dollars is to find an effective and affordable antibacterial solution. , is an essential oil that is also used for mold problems at home. Its rich antibacterial properties eliminate many types of molds and mildew and prevent their recurrence. Its odor also helps eliminate the unpleasant odors associated with mold growth.
- Distilled ethanol
Black mold is probably the most difficult type of mold to eradicate. It is also very harmful to health if inhaled and has become a serious problem in households. When black mold starts growing on your walls and bathroom floors, try removing it with distilled ethanol. Usually thought of as a pest repellent, this can effectively kill the most stubborn types of molds and mildew. It can be used to clean mold-prone surfaces and prevent unpleasant odors. increase.
Prevention is much better than cure. When it comes to mold, it’s easier to take steps to prevent its growth than to get rid of it. When mold develops, even if it’s minor, it prevents property damage. I cannot do it. Of course, no homeowner wants a home full of junk. If you want to protect all wooden surfaces from mildew, varnish them. Varnishes are often used as finishing touches to make wooden furniture look more attractive. However, in addition to its aesthetic purpose, the varnish is also an effective way to repel mold and other pests.
It’s also a health hazard for everyone living in your home. If you can’t handle it yourself, the best solution is to seek mold removal Toronto or in your local area. It is advisable to hire any professional restoration company in Canada like ONT restoration because it is related to you and your family’s health
You can also Read- How Much Prepare Your House Is, For Sudden Fire Damage?