1-1075 Westport Cres

Mississauga Ontario L5L 1E8 Canada

41 Lebovic Ave., Unit #115

Scarborough, Ontario M1L 4W1 Canada

Emergency 24/7

Mold can be toxic. Black mold has been responsible for fungi so toxic that it has been known to cause brain damage in the worst cases. All kinds of mold, including high concentrations of the seemingly harmless ones that colonize the corners of your bathroom, has the potential to make you sick, even the nontoxic ones, says mold expert Jay Portnoy, MD, who treats allergies at a children’s hospital in Kansas City, USA. Mold, in general, is known to cause allergies, rashes, headaches, nausea, dizziness and serious lung infections. 

How do you know the right time to clean out mold in your bathroom? How do you recognize the safer ones from the toxic? 

A mold spotting across your bathroom is something you should keep an eye out for, especially if it tends to trap humidity. If the mold wipes away easily, you have nothing to stress about. But the fact that it is in your bathroom is something you should not ignore. Mold, like mushrooms, is a fungus with tiny spores that thrives on water and old wood to live. They can creep in uninvited from the fine cracks in your walls and foundations of your home, or travel through the air or musty shoes, too. If you notice a musty odour in your bathroom, there’s a good chance that you have the fungus lurking around. Here’s what you should do:

Open The Vents

Fling open the windows and vents to let in sunshine and fresh air. Turn on the exhaust fan to let the water vapour trapped inside evaporate. Make sure there are no damp clothes hanging on the racks. Check the indoor humidity level with a hygrometer that you should find in hardware stores. If it is more than 55%, you may want to consider a dehumidifier. Indoor moisture content even on colder days should not be more than 30%. 

Fix Pipe Leaks

If you find leaks in the pipes, moist patches on the walls or leaks from the ceiling in the rain, call professionals to have it fixed at once. Mold can multiply in 24 hours as they are constantly growing. Space heaters and fans can help dry the wallboard and tiles. Call a professional at once.

Clean Up

No matter what the colour of the mold is, greenish, yellow, light pink, brownish or black, if they have invaded the privacy of your bathroom, or any room for that matter, clean it up at once. They are usually clustered together in circles. If you are allergic to mold, request someone else to do the cleanup for you. Whoever takes on the task, make sure to put on goggles, rubber gloves, and an N-95 respirator that costs just about $5 or so in hardware stores. Scrub well with a brush and bleach solution. 

Call Professionals

If the mold spans over a square foot, call the professionals at once. It is hard to remove mold from the tiny pores in our wallpaper, ceiling, tile edges and carpeting. 

At ONT Restoration, our team of professionals respects your property and your safety while working efficiently and cleanly. Request for our ‘Family Care’ package to have us arrange transportation for you and your family to a reserved hotel while ensuring that your time away from home is painless. We have a team of more than 15 people dedicated to restoring your home to its complete original state with the most advanced equipment available in the market. Call us to book our services.